US social scientist Kenneth Boulding : ‘If you believe exponential growth can go on in a finite world, you are either a madman or an economist’.

Thursday 8 April 2010

8/4/2010: Small Tortoiseshell bonanza

Well OK, not quite, but I was delighted to see two Small Tortoiseshell butterflies chasing each other over a nettle patch near the Old Manor Way entrance to Barnehurst Golf Course on this sunny afternoon. I was on my way to do some Great Crested Newt surveying. But frankly, these things are a lot harder to find by far at the moment. Two is about as many as I've seen in the whole of the past four or five years. One can only hope that the cold winter might have pegged back the parasite that it's thought might be responsible for their decline down here in the warmer south. The last time I saw any number together - as was usually the case when I was a teenager back in the 70s - was several years ago up in Lancaster.

Also down at this end of the golf course was a Comma.

Later on I saw what were probably three different Peacock buterflies at the Thames Rd wetland site, two of which were busy chasing each other about.

No comments:

Post a Comment